Wednesday 17 June 2009

Ashamed of Where I Live

For the last 14 years I have lived in N Ireland, in a small village 18 miles outside of Belfast.

It is a beautiful place and I love it. I moved just after the first ceasefire of 'The Troubles' in April 1996 and despite many concerns of my friends around the world I have not personally seen any trouble.

I know there are still pockets but in general compared to big cities in England which have their own issues with knife and gun crime, this is a great place to live.

But today I am ashamed to admit I live here. How can people think it is acceptable to racially attack a group of people. The violence towards the Romanian community in Belfast is totally unacceptable.

I have heard it may be over a football match where N Ireland lost to Poland and so animosity is to all Eastern Europeans. I can't believe this but then a few weeks ago we had a murder over a Celtic / rangers match.

N Ireland is now a tourist destination, economic investment is good and we are slowly rebuilding our reputation, only to have it spoilt by a few idiotic individuals.

1 comment:

Aspidistra said...

Hi Debra, my grandfather came from Co. Antrim and I sometimes think how ashamed he would be about this sort of thing. He was a Presbyterian minister but when my father married a Catholic he came to the church blessing. I think we both know that a relatively small but frightening minority of people want to continue living in the past. The bad news for them is that reasonable people like you, the majority, are prepared to express an opinion now. Good for you.